Online Legal Complaints, Online legal, ask a question, get an immediate anwser

Where to ask legal questions online and get a response. The internet is about rapid answers to all sorts of legal questions. Here at online legal we will show you where that legal info is freely available and above all worth having.

We are a well established website offering all kinds of legal tips in a professional and effective manner.

Other sites: Legal Advice for Individuals

Changing Your Name -is a legal document used to declare your new name and renounce your old one. Anybody in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland can change their name as long as it is not for fraudulent for deceptive purposes. Legal have been issuing an official deed poll for the last 8 years. We now operate on the internet. When you use our service your Poll could be with you in 24 hours. For full details about the Poll and our services Please look at the FAQ's and look around the website.

Our website has been designed to provide you with details of our company and direct you to the people who will help you with your conveyancing needs.


Making a Complaint against your legal representative

The handling of complaints about solicitors has now passed to the Legal Ombudsman, instead of lcs Legal Complaints Service.

To complain about your solicitor please contact the Legal Ombudsman on 0300 555 0333.

To complain about a solicitor that has worked for someone else then please contact the Solicitors Regulation Authority on 0870 606 2555.

Looking to instruct a solicitor, please use the Find a solicitor

If you are a solicitor and would like advice and support on handling complaints please contact the Law Society.

Sometimes, complaints are made on behalf of people who have impaired mental capacity. (Impaired mental capacity means that someone cannot make a decision because of his or her mental state or is not able to communicate that decision, or a combination of the two.) If you make a complaint and have a court of protection order or an enduring power of attorney, we will deal with the complaint as if it were made by the client. If you do not make the complaint under either a protection order or power of attorney, we may not be able to deal with it in this way. In these circumstances, we may need to carry out some enquiries before we can make any decision to investigate the complaint. If we decide not to investigate, we will tell you. If the complaint is upheld after an investigation, the client will receive any compensation or other award

For more information regarding legal complaints see our can we help secitionLegal Complaints Service

Choosing a solicitor